We’re a Repair-First Company
Basset Heating and Air Conditioning is a repair-first company. This means we are motivated to fix, not replace, for the lowest cost. We are not a commission-based company. We only recommend a full system replacement as a last resort. We’ll even encourage you to get a second opinion. We’re confident you won’t find a better deal.
Many other companies are sales-first, which means they’re motivated to sell the highest-cost items as quickly as possible. They’ll often suggest to replace a perfectly good system with a new one, costing you tens of thousands of dollars.
Before you spend $10,000-15,000 on a new system, we can likely fix your existing system good as new.
Red Flags To Look For Which HVAC Salesmen Use To Rip People Off
Before a salesman or technician comes to your door, know that often problems are typically due to a lack of maintenance and can be easily repaired.
- Offering a “now or never” discount, especially on new system installs/replacements.
- Pushy, high-pressure sales (even if they seem nice enough).
- Offers that are too good to be true.
- Bait and switch.
- Asking for a deposit or up-front cash payment.
- The company sends a salesman instead of a technician.
- Talking you out of a second opinion on HVAC Services.
They’ll also make some false claims
False System Repair Claims
- Cracked heat exchanger or leaking heat exchanger.
- Claiming your A/C refrigerant needs to be “recharged”.
- Selling more refrigerant than you actually received.
- Your family is in danger of carbon monoxide poisoning
The Discount Only Good for Today
When a salesman says “this will cost you a lot, but if you sign right now, we’ll give you 10-15% off”, you are dealing with a sales-first company.
This tactic backs you into a corner and pressures you into making a quick decision. They are afraid of you getting a second opinion, especially from a reputable repair-first HVAC company like Basset Heating.
If you hear this, simply say I’d like to get a second opinion on your HVAC repair or replacement estimate and give us a call. An honest company on your side will encourage second opinions. A dishonest company will dissuade you from doing so.
High Pressure HVAC Salesmen
If at any point a technician resorts to scare tactics to sell something on you, do not give in. Chances are, they need to scare you into buying from them now because they’re scamming you. They don’t want to allow you time to get a second opinion.
No matter the issue, you have time to get multiple opinions. Don’t let an AC technician scare you into paying for services you don’t need.
Common Scare Tactics or Phrases
- Your heat exchanger is cracked or leaking.
- Your furnace could explode at any moment.
- Your furnace could be leaking carbon monoxide.
- Anything that implies immediate danger to you or your family.
The only immediate danger is if you smell gas, or a rotten eggs smell, or see a physical fire. Even the most “dangerous” of issues isn’t bad enough to forfeit a second opinion.
HVAC Offers Too Good to be True
Companies are in business to make a profit. While most of them prioritize serving their customers as best as they can, some will cut any corners to get ahead and make a quick buck. Maintain a healthy suspicion of “free” services or too-good-to-be-true deals.
If a solicitor contacts you via telemarketing and promises a free service or a massive discount, be wary of a “catch.” Odds are, they are steering you toward buying something you never intended to shop for in the first place.
If you requested an estimate based on a promotion or special, stick to that and get a second opinion on other things they bring up.
Insist on a Written Agreement
You need a written agreement. Verbal agreements are not good enough. The least you can do is demand written proof so you may have legal recourse should a company not fulfill everything they say they’ll do.
Use your best judgement—if an offer from an air conditioning service provider sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
If they aren’t willing to put it in writing, chances are they’re planning on doing something to take advantage of the situation.
Bait and Switch
This goes hand-in-hand when there’s no written agreement. You’ll agree to an offer for a top of the line furnace or air-conditioner, only to find that it’s out of stock when it comes time to install. If there’s no written agreement, there’s nothing stopping them from installing an inferior system at the same price.
Without a written agreement, other HVAC companies often run into “unexpected” and expensive complications.
Basset Heating & Air Conditioning will never charge more than the quote you received.
Another thing to look out for is technicians installing a different part than what you were sold. This is like getting invoiced for a Lexus but driving off in a Toyota. It’s okay to ask the technician to walk you through the job and make sure that what’s being installed is what’s on the invoice.
Don’t Agree to Up Front Cash Payments Unless You Have A Contract
Some folks will require a deposit or a 100% upfront cash payment before they start work. This is okay as long as you have a signed contract first. Verbal contracts are no good here. Make sure everyone agrees on what’s being done, what parts are being installed, and that everyone is happy with the agreement.
– Furnace Maintenance Service: The Benefits
There are many fun things to do in the fall, particularly in the United States, but there is also that huge list of must do’s before winter comes. Even though home improvements and outdoor yard work are most likely at the top of your list, there is at least one indoor thing that you should consider handling early- furnace maintenance service scheduled.
Professionals in this field recommend that furnace maintenance and service be done at least once per year to help prevent a malfunction in the peak of the cold weather when the furnace is required most. There are several advantages of having it done before the cold and crisp weather comes, which we shall discuss in this post:
This is without a doubt the most important reason for scheduling furnace maintenance and service. Gas furnaces with a heat exchanger that’s cracked have the risk of leaking carbon monoxide which can be fatal for you and your loved ones. Even a small leak can be hazardous and you shouldn’t take any chances when it comes to the safety of your home and its residents.
An unmaintained furnace is an inefficient system. From dirty furnaces to dirty filters, dirt and dust can hamper the efficient flow of air. This forces the system to work harder and longer in order to produce the same amount of heat as before. If you have been noticing cold spots or uneven heating, then a furnace service and maintenance might be a good idea.
Reduces Wear and Tear
Furnace maintenance and service ideally reduces the wear and tear the system endures. There are numerous things that can result in an increased strain on the furnace. During a routine tune-up, an experienced and skilled technician will thoroughly inspect every component to ascertain that everything is functioning optimally.
In case a problem is detected, the expert will work to address it. This will prevent a premature furnace breakdown.
Another great benefit of scheduling an annual – furnace maintenance service is that you will not only save money today but in the future. How you might ask? Well, when you have a professional technician check your system, they will ensure it is ready to have an energy-efficient winter. That is money off of every gas or electricity bills for months down the line. Ideally, tune-ups help prevent the need for repairs. Who knows just how much you will save in the long haul?
Not only that, but proper maintenance means an extension of the lifespan of your furnace. This means you will get more years out of the current system and will not require a new furnace anytime soon. That, too, can save you a substantial amount of money.
As you can see, there are numerous benefits in availing of professional- furnace maintenance service at least once a year. You’ll avoid the stress of running to a technician during the cold weather and will save a lot in the long run. When seeking maintenance services, just ensure you hire a reputable company for the best results.
IF you are looking to get help with your HVAC system? It’s always a good idea to hire the best HVAC technicians for the job, but where to find them?
1. Family members first!
Family members, friends or neighbors who have recently used the services of an HVAC technician. Call around your brother, sister, or cousins and ask for their experiences, this usually is the best bet for finding a good HVAC tech. If so, start by asking for recommendations, pricing and best way to get the best price. You can trust their experiences more than the public reviews you see on their websites.
2. Google it
You can google it, right. Most websites have their reviews and ratings, you should really see how many reviews have they received and the rating they have received. Read the comments, this will give you a good glimpse of how well the HVAC tech works with their services.
Other sites like Yelp and search someone local can give you a better idea how well HVAC technicians work.
3. Sites to consider where to find HVAC
- *Yelp reviews
- *Yahoo locals
- *Google Locals
- *facebook marketplace
- *Angies’ list
4. BBB.org – Better Business Beauru Licensing
Most HVAC technicians legitimate company are registered to BBB.org , this ensures their licenses and the right to work and offer their services. BBB is not a free membership, they have to continue to pay to be able to keep their status and well reviewed by the public. If there are complaints you will find these issues on BBB. It’s free search and you can learn more about the HVAC technicians you will eventually work with. BBB is also where you can file a complaint about their work if any, so it’s a great resource where you can find these great HVAC technicians.
5. Ask For AN ESTIMATE
An Estimate is a great way to engage with the HVAC techs, and find out if you like working with them, how fast they can get things fixed, or how long it would take. Knowing who you work with and make you feel safe is more important than saving a few bucks. Having said that, get 3 estimates before deciding on your HVAC technician.
What You Need To Know About Heat Pumps.
A heat pump is used to distribute heat from one place to the other using a compressor and a refrigerant. In most cases, the heat is extracted from outdoors and pumped indoors. Using a heat pump guarantees less use of electricity so it’s considered energy efficient.
Why Should You Install A Heat Pump
- Reduced Running Costs – Heat pumps have reduced running costs compared to installing a combustion-based system. Therefore, you can count on improved energy efficiency and enormous long-term savings on energy.
- Reduced Maintenance Costs – Compared to combustion heating systems, heat pumps require less maintenance. Actually, you can do it just one a year for the best services. You can do the maintenance on your own or hire a professional for the best results.
- Improved Safety – One of the main reasons why heat pumps have replaced combustion-based systems is because they offer improved safety. You can enjoy the warm air in your home without any worries of fire risks.
- Reduced Carbon Emissions – If you are looking for an eco-friendly heating option, heat pumps are the best choice. They have reduced carbon emissions and an efficient conversion rate of energy to heat.
- Cooling Provisions – During the hot summer months, heat pumps can easily reverse the process. Therefore, they function the same way as an air conditioning unit. Once you switch the air-air heat pumps during the hot months, you can enjoy the best cooling effect effortlessly.
- Long Lifespan – Heat pumps can last as long as 50 years but have an average lifespan of about 14 to 15 years. They are very reliable and can provide a steady source of heat in your home compared to other heating options.
Are There Any Disadvantages Of Installing Heat Pumps?
As much as there are many benefits of installing heat pumps as mentioned above, there are some disadvantages as well. Here is what you need to know.
- High Upfront Costs – The installation costs of heat pumps can be quite high. However, there is a huge benefit in the long-term because you can enjoy reduced utility bills and reduced carbon emissions.
- Difficult To Install – Before they are installed, you need to research the heat movement patterns, the heating and cooling requirements for your household and local geology. Therefore, it’s not ideal to turn it into A DIY project if you don’t have such expertise. On that note, you need to hire the best professionals for an efficient installation process.
- Planning Permissions – Before heat pumps are installed in your home or office, you need to apply for some permits, depending on your state. Therefore, you need to do your research and find out whether or not you need this permit to avoid any violations.
- Cold Weather Inefficiency – During the cold weather, heat pumps often break down and experience full inefficiency. However, you can surpass this inefficiency by upgrading the model to a newer and more efficient one for the best results.
- Hire Experienced HVAC Technicians – To install with factory requirements and done correctly hiring your local licensed Hvac technicians would be the best
In conclusion, heat pumps are very useful in any home or office. Weigh the pros and cons to make the right installation decision effortlessly. Here is a video to show you how to maintain high efficiency heat output and give maintenance and long service life with your furnace.
My furnace is blowing cold air
Here in the Colorado Springs area, we often receive frantic calls from homeowners whose heating system has gone on the blink, and a typical call goes somewhat like this