What You Need To Know About Heat Pumps.
A heat pump is used to distribute heat from one place to the other using a compressor and a refrigerant. In most cases, the heat is extracted from outdoors and pumped indoors. Using a heat pump guarantees less use of electricity so it’s considered energy efficient.
Why Should You Install A Heat Pump
- Reduced Running Costs – Heat pumps have reduced running costs compared to installing a combustion-based system. Therefore, you can count on improved energy efficiency and enormous long-term savings on energy.
- Reduced Maintenance Costs – Compared to combustion heating systems, heat pumps require less maintenance. Actually, you can do it just one a year for the best services. You can do the maintenance on your own or hire a professional for the best results.
- Improved Safety – One of the main reasons why heat pumps have replaced combustion-based systems is because they offer improved safety. You can enjoy the warm air in your home without any worries of fire risks.
- Reduced Carbon Emissions – If you are looking for an eco-friendly heating option, heat pumps are the best choice. They have reduced carbon emissions and an efficient conversion rate of energy to heat.
- Cooling Provisions – During the hot summer months, heat pumps can easily reverse the process. Therefore, they function the same way as an air conditioning unit. Once you switch the air-air heat pumps during the hot months, you can enjoy the best cooling effect effortlessly.
- Long Lifespan – Heat pumps can last as long as 50 years but have an average lifespan of about 14 to 15 years. They are very reliable and can provide a steady source of heat in your home compared to other heating options.
Are There Any Disadvantages Of Installing Heat Pumps?
As much as there are many benefits of installing heat pumps as mentioned above, there are some disadvantages as well. Here is what you need to know.
- High Upfront Costs – The installation costs of heat pumps can be quite high. However, there is a huge benefit in the long-term because you can enjoy reduced utility bills and reduced carbon emissions.
- Difficult To Install – Before they are installed, you need to research the heat movement patterns, the heating and cooling requirements for your household and local geology. Therefore, it’s not ideal to turn it into A DIY project if you don’t have such expertise. On that note, you need to hire the best professionals for an efficient installation process.
- Planning Permissions – Before heat pumps are installed in your home or office, you need to apply for some permits, depending on your state. Therefore, you need to do your research and find out whether or not you need this permit to avoid any violations.
- Cold Weather Inefficiency – During the cold weather, heat pumps often break down and experience full inefficiency. However, you can surpass this inefficiency by upgrading the model to a newer and more efficient one for the best results.
- Hire Experienced HVAC Technicians – To install with factory requirements and done correctly hiring your local licensed Hvac technicians would be the best
In conclusion, heat pumps are very useful in any home or office. Weigh the pros and cons to make the right installation decision effortlessly. Here is a video to show you how to maintain high efficiency heat output and give maintenance and long service life with your furnace.